Here are some things we’d like you to know about rabbits, and about our adoption process:
Rabbits are unique pets! They are affectionate and loveable. They are entertaining and fun to watch and become a part of you and your family. Rabbits are clean – and quiet! No barking. No meowing. They can get along with other pets, too, if properly introduced.
But sadly many rabbits in rescue often have been abused, neglected or abandoned.
Every rabbit deserves a caring owner and happy home.
We love our bunnies at Huntsville Friends of Rabbits and since they have already been through the shelter once we want to make sure they have a great home the second time around. We have invested a great deal of time, energy and money and love into the bunnies we rescue, and so we want to be assured that they will get the very best of care in their new homes.
It is for this reason that we have the following adoption policies:
• We only adopt to indoor homes. Domestic rabbits should never be kept outside.
• Adopters must be 21 or older.
• We prefer to adopt to adult-only homes. We do not adopt rabbits as pets for small children (under age nine). We consider homes with older children, however, the primary caretaker for the bunny MUST be an adult, and the bunny must be wanted by the whole family! Please be aware that 95% of the bunnies we rescue were pets for young children, and were brought to the shelter because the child tired of them and the parents did not want them.
• Homes with dogs or ferrets are considered on a case-by-case basis.
• We do not adopt rabbits to be residents of petting zoos, as classroom bunnies, or as props for photographers at Easter.
• We expect our adopters to take their bunny to a rabbit-savvy veterinarian for regular check-ups as well as when sick, and to be willing to spend the money for quality vet care. We have lots of great information on local vets and health care and will be happy assist you finding the best options for you and your rabbit.
• Special needs bunnies will only be adopted to people who are experienced in bunny care and who are financially able to provide the vet care these bunnies need.
• Applicants are screened carefully, and we make a home visit to ensure your home is bunny-ready.
Please note that our adoption fee is $50 per rabbit or $80 for a bonded pair of rabbits. This fee helps our group with spay/neuter costs. All of our rabbits have received full vet check ups and are spayed/neutered before adoption.
If you think that you would be a good adopter we would love to talk to you about our fabulous foster bunnies! Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your phone number and tell us more about yourself and your interest in rabbits. We will call you as soon as possible to discuss the adoption process.
We look forward to hearing from you - and so do our bunnies! :)